Just to get everyone off my butt right now…this is not chili and this is not mac and cheese. This is the combination of both worlds in one awesome calorie laden dish. Besides that is also cheap to make which is even better given I blew all my money on an awesome Valentine’s Day present for Heather….
Anyways as usual you can always tell when Jeff is writing because I have zero to say. In fact I am going to pay her to ghost write for me…….
You will need:
- 1 lb ground beef (I used venison that was floating around from my buddy getting a deer last year)
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 bell pepper finely diced
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 3-4 tablespoons whole chili powder (ancho and guajillo were used)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 bottle of beer (we used Brooklyn Brown Ale)
- 2 cups of beef stock
- 1 jar of green chilis
- 1/2 to 3/4 box of elbow macaroni (how much you like is how much you throw in).
- 2 cups of cheese (one cup habanero cheddar and another cup of straight cheddar)
- 1 can of kidney beans drained
- 2 large can of tomatoes not drained
- bacon grease or canola oil
Steps to success:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Saute the onions and bell pepper until softened (about 5 minutes) in bacon grease in your favorite cast iron dutch oven (large stockpot works too).
- Add in the meat and cook until no longer pink.
- Add in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and orgeno and cook for another minute.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients except for the cheese. Cook uncovered until the macacroni is done and the liquid has evaporated (about 12 minutes)
- Throw in a cup of cheese and mix in
- Throw the rest of the cheese on top and shove in the oven uncovered for 10-15 minutes (until the cheese has melted and hardened up)
Serve and enjoy!