In keeping with the theme of soup while you feel like death warmed over I present to you my creation from last week.
The worst part about the day I took off sick was I had no video games to play or anything on the DVR to watch. I was stuck the entire day watching old repeats of shows I have seen with *gasp* commercials! Oh DVR I will never take you for granted ever again.
However, I am feeling 1000 times better well except for bloody soreness from the stupid gym.
Oh well enough for today kiddos because work is calling…..
The first part of this soup is going to be making the broth. For the broth you will need:
- 1 whole chicken
- 1/4 cup of chopped ginger
- 4 whole cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of whole peppercorns
- 1 onion diced
- Couple sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Water lots of water
The broth is really easy to make once you have all your ingredients. Throw everything in a large stockpot and cover with water (bonus points awarded if you cackle like an evil witch). This mixture should come to a simmer and then continue for another hour and a half. Remove the chicken from the stockpot, set aside, and when cool shred the meat. Take a colander and line it with cheesecloth and strain the mixture discarding the whole pieces but keeping the precious broth.
For the rest of the soup you will need:
- Meat from the chicken that was used to make the broth
- Broth (duh)
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 ounce of dried shiitake mushrooms that have been hydrated (refresher course take boiling water, pour over mushroom, cover, and wait 30 minutes). If you have fresh mushrooms fear not because they are acceptable too.
- 1 cup of uncooked rice
- 1 TB of butter (insert homer simpson drool)
Steps to soup success and the road to recovery:
- In a large stock pot melt the butter and add in the onion. Cook the onion until it is translucent (about 5 minutes). If you are using fresh shiitake mushrooms you will want to add them with the onions and cook until the mushrooms are softened (about 10 minutes).
- Add in the broth, shredded chicken, rice, and hydrated mushrooms. Bring this mixture to a boil and cook until the rice is done (say 15 minutes).
- Serve with cilantro, green onions, crushed red peppers, toasted sesame oil, or whatever the freak you have available.