IPA is probably one of my favorite beers to use in cooking because it compliments spicy food perfectly. As you have figured out I love my spicy food too.
Oh yeah many of you were asking what I got Heather for Valentine’s Day. Well it follows the annual theme of creepy garden gnomes.
It is the female one on the left and I got it from http://www.whatonearthcatalog.com/whatonearth/Item_Skel-A-Gnomette-and-Skel-A-Gnome-Garden-Sculptures_CF2993G_ps_dpr.html. Great company with prompt shipping and awesome customer service.
Past that it is finally starting to break from winter here so the garden plotting and planning is even in full effect. Heck Heather started a bunch of seeds so I would not be surprised if DEA is not knocking down my front door in a couple weeks because of the heat signature my house is putting out.
The other major change is the garage is slowly being turned into the official Safehouse Brewery and Brewpub. Invitation only but the beer is cold and guarantee a grill or a smoker is got something cooking on it.
This was one of those recipes that was grilled to delicious perfection.
For the coleslaw you will need:
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup IPA or other beer
- We cheated and bought a coleslaw kit since it is a heck of a lot easier than sitting there using a mandoline to break down cabbage and carrots. However; if you are inclined I am betting a small head should suffice.
- If you are grating cabbage and not being lazy make sure you add in a grated carrot.
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 chipotle in adobo diced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- juice of one lime
- salt and pepper
Coleslaw idiot directions:
- Put in fridge
- Wait a couple hours
- Taste. Do you like it? Great then you are ready. If you hate it adjust the flavors. You might need more salt or pepper.
For the fish you will need:
- 1 lb mahi
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- juice of a lime
- 1 tablespoon ancho powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup cilantro
Fish is even harder than the coleslaw to make:
- Combine everything
- Wait 20 minutes
- Grill or oven bake until the fish is flaky
To assemble the tacos:
- Soften corn tortillas
- Throw in some spoonfuls of coleslaw
- Add in some flaked fish
- Throw in whatever in the heck else you like
- Serve and enjoy!